Wednesday

Stupid is the new black. (also the new pink, blue and green)

Any New Yorker who has hurried through subway connections this week, huddled against the cold weather, has seen these at every turn:

and I can't help but think that we've hit a new low. 

BE STUPID . . . do Americans need a reminder?



I mean, I get it.  I really do.  It's supposed to be irreverent, shocking to adults, maybe even counter-culture, but when did counter culture go from this:

to THIS:




and now that our culture has adopted this kind of counter as our Baal, we are allowing the Priests of the Church of Consumerism to flood our field of vision with mandates for STUPIDITY celebrated with accompanying images of hotties in various states of undress both corporeal and logical (and never the twain linked, mind you I'm all for bodily nudity in the subway).

I understand that STUPID is easy to like.  The nation fell hard for Forrest Gump.  We love monosyllabic grunting apes.  We flee RHETORIC and LOGIC as though they are, oh let's say WAR and RAPE, and we make virtual entertainment about, um ... war and rape as though they are justified modes of self expression.

Stupid can shoot a gun.

Stupid cannot perform life-saving surgery.

So before we all become as lazy and useless as the douches in these adds, let's just take this trash off the walls.  I know it's not fooling anyone, but I'm certain it's making morons feel justified, and that's reason enough for vandalism, if you ask me.



1 comment:

  1. You know what they say: "Play hard are go home."

    ReplyDelete